Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Byron Harmon Real Picture Postcard (RPPC) of Bow Lake, Alberta, Canada


This is an RPPC by Byron Harmon of Bow Lake, in Alberta, Canada.  I believe it is in Banff National Park, and I think it is early 20th century.  It is black & white, showing a teepee, the lake, mountains and clouds.  The actual card looks much nicer than what I could reproduce here.  I've seen color cards (probably linen) based on this view.

Byron Harmon was born in Tacoma, Washington in 1876 and died in 1942.  He spent much of his life photographing the Canadian Rockies around Banff.  I've had other RPPCs of his photos, and they all are very high quality.  Much, much better photography than you find on your average postcard.

This was a mass produced RPPC, and there is a caption in white identifying the location a Bow Lake - its hard to read on the actual card, and pretty impossible to read on the reproduction here.  I believe these captions were made by scratching them on the negative. 

Anyway I like this RPPC - the image has a rather stark Ansel Adams quality to it.

Update:  Sold!

No comments:

Post a Comment